Ok, so I'll admit that at first I felt extremely guilty about posting these 2 recipies on my blog. But, then I decided that they are so good that they should be shared & bring happiness to the people I love.
My mom would want it to be no other way.
These are Pat Russell specialties, some of her best: pumpkin bread & her awesome pie crust.
Trust me, give the pumpkin bread a try & it will become a tradition for Thanksgiving & Christmas...many people have been converted.
As far as the pie crust goes, its from one of the orignial Betty Crocker cookbooks, in fact...you can't even find it in the recent ones anymore (I checked). It's a little different than your typical pie dough: its an oil pastry. This means its a little salty & has some extra flavor, perfect for those really sweet pies. Yummm.
So, I dedicate this post to my wonderful mom who taught me how to cook & how to bring joy to others with food. Please enjoy.
I love you mom.
Happy Thanksgiving!
My mom would want it to be no other way.
These are Pat Russell specialties, some of her best: pumpkin bread & her awesome pie crust.
Trust me, give the pumpkin bread a try & it will become a tradition for Thanksgiving & Christmas...many people have been converted.
As far as the pie crust goes, its from one of the orignial Betty Crocker cookbooks, in fact...you can't even find it in the recent ones anymore (I checked). It's a little different than your typical pie dough: its an oil pastry. This means its a little salty & has some extra flavor, perfect for those really sweet pies. Yummm.
So, I dedicate this post to my wonderful mom who taught me how to cook & how to bring joy to others with food. Please enjoy.
I love you mom.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Pat's Pumpkin Bread
4 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 C sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
4 1/2 tsp cinnamon
*Mix in large bowl, create a well in center.
Add:
1 1/2 C oil
6 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 large can pumpkin
*Mix well.
Stir in 2 C (or 1 bag) chocolate chips
*pour in to greased & floured bread pans. Makes 9 mini-loaves or 3 large.
**Bake @ 350' x 1 hour (40-50 min. for mini loaf) or until toothpick comes out clean.
(great warm or cool, also freezes well if wrapped in foil)
Best-ever pie crust (for a 2-crust pie)
2 3/4 C flour1 1/2 tsp salt
just under 1 C oil
1/3 C water
*Mix flour & salt. Make well in center, add oil & cut until looks like meal. Cut in water 1-2 Tbs. at a time (begin when dough is just starting to come together like meal). Gather dough togther, immediately roll out for pie pan.
**Bake @ 425' x 10-13 min for one crust pie/ baked shell or according to directions for filling.
(Because this is an oil pastry it the dough is not as soft as when using Crisco...trust me, it tastes so much better & is the perfect flaky pie-crust if not over-handled.)
No comments:
Post a Comment